Here are some of the health benefits of flax:
- Flax seed is rich in minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium.
- Flax seed is one of the top vegetable sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids such as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid, and arachidonic acids. It is also rich in monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid. These fatty acids have anti-inflammatory properties which help lower the risk of blood pressure, strokes, coronary artery disease and breast, colon and prostate cancers. Infant development and maturation of the nervous system requires adequate amounts of omega 3 fatty acids
- The phytoestrogens and lignans in flax seeds have antioxidant and cancer properties.
- Flax seed is an excellent source of vitamin E and contains about 133% of the daily recommended values at 20 grams per 100 grams. Vitamin E helps maintain the integrity of cell and mucous membranes and the skin by protecting it from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
- Regular intake of small daily portions of flax seeds helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increases HDL or “good cholesterol” levels in the blood.
- Flax seeds are packed with important B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates. Thiamin is essential for carbohydrate metabolism and helps prevent beri-beri disease. Folates help prevent defects in the fetus when consumed during pre-conception period and pregnancy.
1.05 fat grams, 90 calories = 10% fat calories
Makes 16-20 muffins / 2 loaf pans.
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cups sugar or 1/2 cup agave
2 cups carrots, shredded
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Real salt
4 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup water
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
Option: 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (2.7 fat grams,100 calories=24% fat calories)
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, carrots, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground flax seed, vanilla and water. Mix. Slowly stir in the flour until it is lightly mixed. Do not over mix. Mixture will be thick. Spoon into sprayed muffin liners or cupseez, filling 2/3 - 3/4 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes.
To make carrot bread, simply spray 2 medium size loaf pans with a non-stick spray, and fill. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Livin' Slim Healthy Dessert Recipes can be purchased by clicking on this link!