Spinach, a "superfood" and 12 reasons to eat it!
- Spinach is loaded with vitamin A, which is necessary for healthy vision and protects the cells against cancer and other diseases.
- Spinach is packed with vitamin K, at 510% of the daily recommended amount in just 3 cups. Vitamin K is necessary for blood clotting and helps prevent osteoporosis. It also converts glucose into glycogen for storage in the liver.
- Manganese is one of the minerals loaded in spinach and is needed for protein and fat metabolism and healthy nerves. Great for anyone needing to lose a few extra pounds!
- Spinach has 40% vitamin C of the daily recommended amount. Vitamin C is crucial for adrenal gland function, healthy gums and tissue growth and repair. It also prevents cancer, infections, and enhances immunity to disease.
- Spinach is high in iron which is necessary for children and pregnant women especially, helping with growth and resistance to disease. Iron is the mineral that is found in the largest amounts in the blood, preventing anemia and creating strong nails, thick hair and a 'natural glow' in the skin.
- Spinach is rich in folate which helps with depression and anxiety. Pregnant women especially need to make sure they are receiving enough folic acid, which helps prevent birth defects.
- Spinach has calcium in, an important mineral needed for strong bones, healthy teeth and helps the heartbeat stay regular. It helps prevent osteoporosis, muscle cramps and is essential in blood clotting.
- Magnesium is another mineral present in spinach. A deficiency in magnesium causes irritability and nervousness. It helps prevent depression, dizziness, twitching, heart disease, high blood pressure and helps maintain the proper pH balance.
- Spinach also has riboflavin or B2 in, which helps alleviate eye fatigue and prevents cataracts. It also helps the body metabolize fats, carbohydrates and proteins!
- Lutein found in spinach has been shown to reduce the 'bad' cholesterol in the blood vessels. It also helps prevent the occurrence of atherosclerosis, heart attack, and strokes and is beneficial for the eyes.
- Spinach has the ability to protect the membranes of the stomach thereby decreasing the chance of gastric ulcers.
- Spinach is high in potassium and low in sodium. This combination is beneficial in preventing or reversing high blood pressure.
3.25 fat grams, 253 calories = 11% fat calories
1 cup spinach, packed
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1 cup almond milk or pineapple juice
Blend the ingredients in a blender until smooth! I prefer making this with the almond milk for a creamier smoothie. However, you can use pineapple juice for a thinner, sweeter smoothie, although it is sweet enough!