Cranberries are also extremely high in antioxidants, being one of the highest in the category of edible berries. Eating high amounts of antioxidants helps to flush out toxins, thus helping with weight loss!
What else do cranberries offer?:
- Scientific studies have shown that eating cranberries have potential health benefits against cancer, aging and neurological diseases, diabetes, inflammation, and bacterial infections, due to their high amounts of flavonoid phytochemicals called pro-anthocyanidins.
- The antioxidant compounds in cranberries help prevent cardiovascular disease by counteracting against cholesterol plaque formation in the heart and blood vessels. Further, these compounds help the human body lower LDL cholesterol levels and increase HDL-good cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Eat lots of cranberries forhealthy teeth and for preventing cavities. Cranberries prevent plaque formation on the tooth enamel by interfering with the ability of another gram-negative bacterium, Streptococcus mutans, to stick to the surface.
- According to research, studies show that eating cranberries offers protection against gram-negative bacterial infections such as E.coli in the urinary system by inhibiting bacterial-attachment to the bladder and urethra.
- Cranberries are also good for the brain and can often help increase memory!
- Acne, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions can all be healed with the use of cranberries.
Cranberry Apple Kale Salad
2.58 fat grams, 94 calories = 24% fat calories
2 cups purple cabbage, chopped thin
1 cup kale, chopped and
1 red apple, sliced thin
1 green apple, sliced thin
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup cranberries
1/8 cup walnuts, chopped
Dressing: (entire dressing) 3.8 fat grams, 180 calories = 19% fat calories
1/2 cup low-fat plain soy yogurt
1 tbsp agave or 6 drops liquid stevia
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp Real salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Mix the salad ingredients in a serving bowl. In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients and stir well. When you are ready to eat, pour the dressing over the salad mixture and stir until all ingredients are coated.
Tip: For a hearty lunch, spoon the salad in whole grain pitas and enjoy!